Introduction to Framingham, Massachusetts
Framingham, Massachusetts, in Middlesex county, is 19 miles W of Boston, Massachusetts. Framingham is regarded as the center of the Metrowest region. The town is home to the world headquarters of Staples, Bose Audio and TJX. Genzyme, Computer Associates, and Capital One have major facilities in the municipality. Breyers and Leggat McCall also have notable facilities in the area. Medical, education, bio-technical, office centers and retail are the major employers.
Framingham is known for its large number of white-collar technology and business professionals. The town is situated along the Sudbury River and mixes urban and rural features. It's included in the "Golden Mile" which is known for shopping malls. Framingham is the highest populated town in New England and sometimes is referred to as "the largest town in America." It includes a variety of ethnic communities.
The town is situated on the historic Old Connecticut Path. In 1647 John Stone established a settlement along the Sudbury River. The area was originally named Danforth's Farm. The town had two militia companies involved in the Battles of Lexington and Concord. Before the Civil War, Framingham hosted an annual meeting for the Abolitionist movement. Framingham had a significant increase in population after World War II ended.
- Amazing Things Art Center
- The Danforth Museum of Art features American art collections
- Framingham Community Theater
- Garden in the Woods is a botanical garden and features a notable collection of wildflowers and includes scenic trails
- Framingham Historical Society and Museum
- Village of Saxonville is located in Framingham and features historic structures such as Athenaeum Hall, Old Dansforth Street Bridge, the Saxonville Fire Station, Saxonville Mills & Josephine Kochnowicz Clock Tower and the Edwards Church & Edwards Cemetery
- Framingham Town Common includes notable historic structures such as The Old Village Hall, Edgell Library and the Unitarian (First Parish) and Plymouth churches. It also incudes numerous monuments
- Great Meadows National Wildlife Refuge
- Salomon Pond Mall
- Framingham Activities
- Bowditch Field is the primary athletic facility for Framingham. Lake Cochituate and Lake Washakum feature beach areas. Golf enthusiasts enjoy the course at Framingham Country Club. The Edwards F. Loring Skating area is a popular location. Callahan State Park provides trails for mountain biking, hiking and cross-country skiing. Farm Pond Park includes walking trails and a pond used for swimming and fishing.
The nearby Rocky Narrows features walking trails through rugged terrain. The close by Ashland Reservoir is utilized for canoeing and kayaking. Broadmoor Wildlife Sanctuary is filled with wildlife and includes hiking trails. The scenic Nobscot Mountain area is a vast acreage and provides opportunities for hiking and camping. The Fun and Games Family Entertainment Center is a popular destination.
The town is served by the nearby Logan Airport. Amtrak and the MBTA provide rail service to Boston. Local Inter Framingham Transit provides bus transportation.
Framingham Higher Education
The town is home to Framingham State College. Brandeis University as well as Wellesley, Regis, Mount Ida and Babson colleges are in the area.
About the Neighborhood
The property listing data and information set forth herein were provided to MLS Property Information Network, Inc. from third party sources, including sellers, lessors and public records, and were compiled by MLS Property Information Network, Inc. The property listing data and information are for the personal, non commercial use of consumers having a good faith interest in purchasing or leasing listed properties of the type displayed to them and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties which such consumers may have a good faith interest in purchasing or leasing. MLS Property Information Network, Inc. and its subscribers disclaim any and all representations and warranties as to the accuracy of the property listing data and information set forth herein.
All data relating to real estate for sale on this page comes from the Broker Reciprocity (BR) of the Cape Cod & Islands Multiple Listing Service, Inc. Detailed information about real estate listings held by brokerage firms other than Realty Executives Boston West include the name of the listing broker company. Neither the listing company nor Realty Executives Boston West shall be responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, or misprints and shall be held totally harmless. The Broker providing this data believes it to be correct, but advises interested parties to confirm any item before relying on it in a purchase decision.
Copyright 2023© Cape Cod & Islands Multiple Listing Service, Inc. All rights reserved.